27.2.06

Another beautiful day in Italy....

Ok so again I should be studying for my 3 midterms on Wednesday but no motivation = not getting anything done. I read Baumann's blog and it sounds like UW kicked some major ass in DePauw this weekend...looks like we have a pretty strong team this year. Awesome...I just wish I could be there for it, but there's always next year when I'll be a crapload stronger and wiser.

So today I didn't do too much at all. Today was suppose to be a study day. 3 of my classes were cancelled so I could study...what do you think I did? That's right...nothing to do with homework. I got up at 9am for breakfast and then like I usually do, I went right back to bed. I slept until about 12:45pm and then went to lunch at 1pm. After lunch I played a 40min game of soccer. I'm definitely a better goalie then when I'm on offense. Today I only had one goal scored on me for the first half and then only 3 more in the second half. I also scored 3 goals (I think) during the game...however we lost 7-10. Oh well, its not my sport anyways. Right after that I wanted to go for a quick juant on the bike. So I got out for a quick 50km ride. It was actually pretty quick. Only took me 1hr 35min, with the two climbs towards Barbarino. I wanted to go a little bit harder today to see how my legs were feeling. They were definitely feeling really good...even with the 20mph headwind I had on the way out. I did the first climb in a gear higher than usual. I was able to complete the whole climb in my 39-23, two gear increase since I got to Italy...and with a cadence of about 60-70 all the way up. On the way back on wanted to really see what my legs had. So on the 13% climb back home I geared up to 39-19 and just busted ass up it. Sitting down the whole way. I was able to keep a cadence of probably around 75. Not too bad. And I was really tired at the end of it and my legs still felt very very strong. So on the way home I averaged about 32mph (thanks tailwind) and decided to put in 5 all out sprints, about 400 meters in length. I got up to almost 40mph each time with one time actually getting to 40mph! So it was a good quick ride to see where my strength is at. Tomorrow I plan on putting around 4-5 hrs on the bike.

So it may sound impossible, but I'm up for the challenge....I have determined that my main goal for this summer is to upgrade to Cat 2 before Superweek, or at least a couple days into Superweek and then upgrade to Cat 1 by the end of Superweek...if not, then by the end of the summer. I have the dedication to do it. I've been improving alot lately. And seeing that theres only short steep climbs in Wisconsin I think I have a pretty good chance of meeting this goal. I'm able to hold 35mph for at least 10km with the pack, I can sprint at least 38mph, I've been getting faster and stronger up all climbs, and I don't tire as much in any of these. I'll be ready when I get back....with a new custom made bike thats 5lbs lighter than mine right now and me being about 10lbs lighter, hopefully. I will become P-R-O.

I would like to get a powertap, but thats a little too expensive right now and I really don't like watching my wattage, speed and time while I'm riding...it actually slows me down...cuz I start thinking wow, I'm only putting out 300 watts and I feel like crap...puts the self-esteem down. I would also love to get one of those altitude simulation masks. That would help out a lot...simulating 20,000ft a couple hrs a day.

Tonight I will be studying to about 3am, hopefully...maybe throwing in an episode of l'OC. We'll see how much studying I get done though. Happy training...

Ciao

4 comments:

Ryan Baumann said...

Matt--The Powertap will NOT make you slower or feel mentally challenged. Do what Tyrone does--cover up the PT computer with tape and download the file after the race. That way, you can see where your weaknesses were and how to improve on them AFTER the ride, but you aren't discouraged by the numbers DURING your race.

That being said, I would still have my PT computer available to see during the race. It's helpfull to pace yourself in a 5 min + effort at VO2 max or LT pace.

Cat 1 by the end of the season!? Holy shit, watch out for the freight train called Waite!

Waite For It said...

This freight train doesn't waite for anything....

Sarah Lukas said...

niceee..

Waite For It said...

yes I actually do know how 'impossibly difficult' it is to move from a Cat 3 to a Cat 1. I know that Superweek is hard. Can't a guy have some dreams, and I like a challenge...if you don't want to believe in me, thats fine...don't. But thanks.