25.6.07

UWW RR....

So after getting home at 4am. I woke up at 9am and drove Frye and myself over to Whitewater for another Road Race. Frye's race was at noon...mine was at 4pm. Means a lot of sitting around for me. Frye did well, finished with the field.

My race was a joke. I was actually kinda pissed the whole time. The race was 9 laps of a 6 mile course, which really was not selective at all. Some rollers and a small big ring climb at the end of each lap. There was barely any wind either that day. So my legs were not feeling too well after 6 days of fast and hard racing...300+ miles in about 10hrs will do that to a person. Halfway into lap 1 I decide to wake up the legs...so I attack. I got about 15 seconds on the field so I kept going. Then they decided they didn't want me out there. They brought me back in lap 2. A couple more useless attacks from others went. Lap 3, a Beans and Barley guy goes off. Looks promising cuz I know he's strong so I decide to bridge. I look back and another Beans and Barley guy is covering my move. We both look back and we have a gap. We decide to go for it. We catch the break and that guy drops his chain on the hill...damn it. That would have been a good break. I would have been outnumbered, but that would have been ok.

As we were going I could tell the B&B guy was not as strong. I pulled 70% of the time...his pulls were not as strong either. We had about a 30 second gap going. We were making some time too. He only had one teammate left after the dropped chain and I had no teammates...so no real shutting down of the field. But we had to keep working. For the first two laps out our little breakaway was going well, with me pulling alot of the time...and still feeling good. The third lap out we got to the final little hill of the lap and I go up it at a good tempo. I look back and he's off my wheel. I waited up for him and then drilled it when he got back on. The next time up the last hill, I dropped him again. This time I knew I had to just keep going. Well, the field saw that he was dropped so they kicked it into 2nd gear and started charging. They caught me 1/4th into lap 7. Damn it...I wish I had some teammates and had a stronger breakaway partner. I wasn't even tired when the field engulfed me. Right after that a Wheaton guy rolled "slowly" off the front and created a gap. I really should have gone with him, because he stayed off solo until the end and won. The field didn't do anything...and never really chased. They just wanted to be together and save some energy for their precious little sprint for 2nd at the end.

Nothing happened for the next 2.5 laps. It was slow and boring. I almost fell asleep. On the last lap I attacked with about 1/2 mile left and hear a PING. I kept going and was covered and then was countered. After that I didn't give a shit. And rolled in for about 12th or so. I checked and the PING was a broken rear spoke. Everything on my bike is breaking.

Pretty much that race showed me that I gained a little bit of form and I tried a couple more things that I haven't done in awhile. But the race pissed me off. I can't wait to get out of Cat 3...I actually applied for my Cat 2 upgrade. Hopefully I get it.

Congrats to Seth Meyer for winning his last ever Cat 3 race...

Ciao ciao....
Waitey

No comments: