15.4.06

Winding down....

So I really can't believe that I only have 4 more days of school and then finals week. I'm totally done on Apr 26th. 11 days! Damn. Italy has been so much fun and I really don't want to leave. Even the past week has been a blast with people. Some of them I'm still annoyed with.

Two nights ago I met Kat's mom. She's just like Kat. I really liked her a lot. She took us out for drinks and then to dinner and paid for all of it. I actually felt awkward not paying for my part and having someone that doesn't even know me pay the whole bill. But she was a very nice woman. And she's an author...she's written many a books and scripts for movies. Craziness and cool.

Last night 10 of us drank up on the terrace (mostly just the roof of our villa). It was sweet. Between Dan and I we had 3.5 liters of wine and 250ml of grappa to go around. We didn't drink all of it....but we did most of it. But we had the music blasting and jokes flying and overall it was just an awesome time. I've really been hanging out with the people I didn't hang out with all semester and its kinda nice.

So my training has gotten a little bit more hardcore. 106km yesterday...yes I know thats still not a lot, but I'm working on time and base miles still and thats being in the mountains too. I go a lot harder now though. Yesterday started out crappy...my legs didn't even want to turn the pedals. The first climb was horrible, but then I was on top of my game and the next 2 climbs I blasted up. Feeling amazing. I just needed that first climb to get the crap out of my legs, thats all. Seeing that I really only have one more week to train here I better make it the best. I've improved a crapload since I've been here. By the time I leave I'll have 4000+km in my legs...some good base miles. And I've been become more of a climber, even at my weight and I'm a fat ass. But that will all transfer to the flats of Wisconsin. I'm definitely moving up to a Cat 2 this year. I hope my team helps me out with that.

I'll be able to finally test my strength on the 25th. I have a race over by Perugia. 89.9km mediofondo. 14km of climbing with the hardest climb coming in after 65km of racing. 7km long climb with an ave grad of 4.5% and a max of 9%. I don't see that being very hard. And I know I have over 100km of endurance so lets do this. I know I can break at least the top 50 now. And then I'll even do better at my next race on May 1st. My mom will be watching me, so I better do well.


Its nothing like a Wisconsin race....

Damn, I honestly shake when I think of going home. No more real Italian food, no more gelato, no more 11km climbs, no more 22% gradients, no more MTbike, no more me being in control on the road. Thats the thing I'm going to miss most of all I think. Having the road be for cyclists and for motorists. Motorists here respect cyclists. And I rule the road. I just can't ride in Madison like I can here. And its always lovely passing real pros on the road (yesterday I passed 2 discovery riders and a milram rider). I'll definitely have to come back here some day real soon.

Time to go and get some finaly projects done. I'm almost done with them anyways and they're all due on Wed. And I need to go on another ride, maybe around 4 hrs or so...we'll see.

Ciao ragazzi

3 comments:

Ryan Baumann said...

Crono supports other crono riders every race. Teamwork is key to winning races, and we have no intention of loosing!

Crono is already coming along strong--Today in the Bellin TT Dallas got 3rd, Erik Dier 5th, and I took the win. Be prepared for some strong teamates when you get back from Pasta land!

Waite For It said...

That's what it seems like. I hope all my training here in Tuscany pays off. I have a crapload of base miles in me. I need to start hitting up the hard intervals now.

Sarah Lukas said...

That's awesome you're loving it so much there. I can't wait to see how much ass you kick this year. It'll be good stuff!!